MILK AND HONEY

MILK AND HONEY – A REVIEW

I recently purchased my copy of milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (Finally) and I am here to share my thoughts and experiences.

I often like to research an author either before I read their work or after – just to get a sense of who they are and what others say about them. Rupi was no exception. After watching many reviews and interviews of hers on YouTube, reading a few articles I finally sat down to read the book.

There were various elements of her books that I liked for example her cover (I have a thing for bees), the structure of the book which is divided into four parts namely: The hurting, the loving, the breaking and the healing. Despite the lack of punctuation and simplicity in writing for which Kaur is often criticized, I enjoyed reading this book. The lack of punctuation did make it difficult to get the sense of the general flow of the poem but eventually the message got across. I am a big fan of poets breaking the laws of language so this is not something I’ll penalize Rupi for. Overall it’s a pretty ‘chill’ read. One I’d read again.

It is not the most life changing poetry I’ve ever been exposed to. However, if someone asked me if it was worth the read I’d definitely say yes. My favorite from the four sections would probably be the loving. My least favorite would be the healing. It felt like it was just a whole bunch of sticky notes you stick around your mirror to remind yourself that you are worth something. It really lacked originality for the most part and I felt like I was reading something I’ve read on my TL before.

Aside from that here are some of my favorite bits from Milk and Honey can be found on

 page 55: a poem about being rendered speechless by a lover. A sweet little thing.

page 56: This is probably the best thing (for me) I read in this book

Page 61: something cute that I related to on the night I read it

Page 69: made me blush a little (haha)

Page 71:  another page filled read that made me blush a little. Titled: How we make up. I really liked this one.

Page 73: This poem is about me. She doesn’t know that, but I’m telling you it is.

page 170: MY MANTRA FOR 2020

 

for more about Rupi Kaur I have here a link to her website and author profile here:

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ILY - A Poem

3002 Synonyms For Goodbye: The Love letter

Little Girl Blue: A Sad Poem